Our ultra dog friendly cottages are located on top of the Quantock Hills in Somerset
A place where ancient moorland meets wild jurassic coast
24th March 2020
It feels unreal to write this but in a world that has unimaginably changed in such a short space of time and continues to change at such a rapid pace following the outbreak of Covid-19, and watching along with 27 million others the Prime Ministers announcement to the nation on the 23rd March, a case of national"lock-down."
The PM announced in his statement his intention to review this lock-down policy in 3 weeks time. We will of course be very much keeping abreast of the situation and will follow all Government edicts.
Q: I love the look of your cottages is it still OK to book
A: Yes we would love it if you did. For your peace of mind we highly recommend that you have travel insurance and do check with your provider that your policy covers for epidemics and pandemics. We are suggesting at present that you do not book to arrive before June 4th 2020. This is inline with what many of the other larger national companies in our industry are recommending.
Q: If we are booked to stay within the next 3 weeks (ie until the date when the Prime Minister stated that he will review the situation) can we still take our holiday.
A: By Gorvernment edict it will not be possible for you to take your holiday following the PM's address to the nation on the 23rd March 2020 and there is futher clarification that the Government does not deem holidays to be essential travel.
As this is a Government imposed "stay-at-home" order you should be covered by your travel insurance. Do check with them. We are of course more than happy to provide you with proof of booking for your insurance company.
Q: We have paid our deposit but because of all the uncertainty at the moment we don't want to make our final payment for our holiday although our arrival date is some 8 weeks away.
A: I am terribly sorry but you will still need to make your final payment on its due date in line with our T's & C's. If you choose not to, not only will you a) lose your deposit as this is non refundable b) should the "stay-at-home" Government order be lifted you will have lost your holiday & c) we would need to seek recompense through the judicial system.
Q: We have paid our deposit, our balance is due but can we postpone our booking to another date in the future.
A: I am terribly sorry but you will still need to make your final payment on its due date in line with our T's & C's. I am also terribly sorry it will not be possible to postpone your booking another date. The reason for this is simply, If we were to give you new dates in the future we would be giving you a holiday at our expense as this would be a week/s that we would not be able to sell/charge for and sadly this is not viable economics, as much as we would love to do it for you. It is going to be hard enough trying to survive this year but if we were to allow bookings to postponed to next year or even the year after then we would most certainly not be here for anyone.
Q: I am booked to stay but I want postpone my booking to another date in the future when this COVID 19 will be over or I want a refund.
A: We appreciate that this is a truly a ghastly time for everyone. I am afraid that as per our Tc’s and C’s we cannot refund any element of your stay or are we able to postpone your booking to another date. The reason for this is simply, If we were to give you new dates in the future we would be giving you a holiday at our expense as this would be a week/s that we would not be able to sell/charge for and sadly this is not viable economics, as much as we would love to do it for you. It is going to be hard enough trying to survive this year but if we were to allow bookings to postponed to next year or even the year after then we would most certainly not be here for anyone.
Q: I want to delay/postpone our holiday, we are happy for you to keep the deposit that we have already paid and when we decide what date in the future we wish to book we will then pay the balance at the 56 days prior to our new holiday date as required by the T&C's, does this work for you.
A: We are a small family business and to maintain the cottages to the exceptional standards that we do and our guests not only love, but expect, we have huge overheads and we have enormous responsibilities for the employment of our staff and our local supply chains who rely on us for their livelihoods in this remote countryside location. As much as we would love to, we simply cannot afford to postpone your holiday to some date in the future which is more to your liking. We strongly advise not only within our T&C's but also on all the documentation associated with your initial booking that adequate holiday insurance is taken out.
Q: Will I receive a refund if I want to cancel my holiday
A: Your contract does not allow any refunds, however, please refer to your individual travel insurance and contact your relevant insurer for further information
Q: Some of the large national holiday cottage companies are allowing customers to arbitrarily change their holiday dates, why are you not allowing this.
A: The reason why these vast national companies can do this is that when you, the guest, makes your initial booking, the agency takes their entire commission for the whole booking (this is usually around 24% - 28 % of the total cost of your holiday) and we cottage owners do not get paid anything until a few weeks before the guests arrival date. Thus for these companies to change your dates it is of no loss to them, they have your funds and their commision and it is us cottage owners who are the ones affected. In our own case, our partner agency made a unilateral decision to do this. No cottage owners were consulted. Thus if you do move a booking we the cottage owners suffer drastic cash flow issues. We do hope you understand. Over the 10 years that we have run these cottages our guests have so loved staying and exploring this truly special area and we so want to be in a position to continue to make theirs and your holiday dreams come true.
Q. In your booking terms and conditions under point 6 it states that the owners may cancel the booking in the event of the accommodation being unavailable due to circumstances outside our reasonable control and will provide the guests with a refund" so why does this not apply to me now. Surly this current situation is outside of your control so we should get our money back.
A: I fear you misunderstand our point 6. For ease here it is full “The owners may cancel the booking in the event of the accommodation being unavailable due to circumstances outside our reasonable control such as fire or contamination to the water supply. The Owners will endeavour to provide the Guest with suitable alternative accommodation or will refund all monies paid or a proportion in the case of curtailment”
This paragraph is clearly property related and covers guests who are staying in the property that in the event that we have to cancel or curtail your stay because of a fault with our property, then we would have to find you suitable alternative accommodation (ie in one of our two other cottages) OR refund any monies paid, or a proportion of in the event that say half way through your stay there was a major fault with the premises bought about through circumstances beyond our control and we are not able to remedy it in a timely fashion for you.
In this instance the property is here, it will be available for your use, it has not had a fire nor is the water contaminated. Sadly it is not US who have had to cancel your holiday in this initial 3 week lock-down or may have to potentially cancel your holiday in the event of a lock-down extension, it is the Government who has stated that you may not be able to travel to us.
We are of course more than happy to provide you with proof of your booking for your insurance company.